Table of Contents
What is CA CPT exam?
This is the entrance examination of Chartered Accountancy Course.
CA CPT tests a student in four areas viz. Accounting, Mercantile Laws, General Economics and Quantitative Aptitude. CPT is an objective type test with negative marking for each wrong option.
Registration and Eligibility for CA CPT course
After passing class 10th, a student is eligible for registration for Common Proficiency Test. But a student can appear for CA-CPT only if he has appeared in the Senior Secondary Examination (10+2 Examination).
A student who has got himself registered for Common Proficiency Test 60 days prior to the first day of the month in which CPT examination is to be held i.e. on or before 1st April and 1st October, can appear in the CPT examination to be held in June and December respectively. Common Proficiency Test examinations are held in June & December every year
To apply for admission to the CPT course a student is required to apply in the prescribed form.
- A student may buy Prospectus from ICAI center by remitting Rs.100. The application form is available in the Prospectus.
- Alternatively, the application form can be downloaded.
The registration and tuition fee is Rs.6,000, which is to be remitted along with filled in application form. In case a student submits downloaded application form, he should remit Rs.6,100(Rs.100 for Prospectus). A copy of the Prospectus will be sent along with the study package.
Validity of CPT registration
• Initial registration for Common Proficiency Course (CPC) is valid for 3 years.
• Fee for revalidation is Rs. 300/- for 3 years period.
Enclosures to CPT Registration form
- Demand Draft towards registration fees.
- Proof of date of birth : Class 10th admit card and 10th pass marksheet/10th pass certificate indicating date of birth/ duly attested by a Chartered Accountant/ Gazetted Officer/ Head of the institute.
- Attested copy of 12th pass or its equivalent qualification as recognized by central government, if passed
- Proof of Nationality , if student is foreigner
- Proof of Special Category Certificate i.e., SC/ST, OBC and Disabled.
SYLLABUS OF CPT
This test is divided into two sessions of two hours each
SESSION – I (Two Sections– Two hours – 100 Marks)
- Section A: Fundamentals of Accounting (60 Marks)
- Section B: Mercantile Laws (40 Marks)
SESSION – II (Two Sections– Two hours – 100 Marks)
- Section C: General Economics (50 Marks)
- Section D: Quantitative Aptitude (50 Marks)
Passing criteria in CPT
CPT is an objective type test with a negative marking which will be indicated in the question paper. There is a negative marking for selecting wrong answer to the extent of 25% marks allotted to a question.
A CPT candidate shall be declared to have passed the test if he obtains at one sitting a minimum of 30% marks in each section and a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate of all the sections, subject to the principle of negative marking.
The best thing about CPT exam as compared to next two level is that it is objective type examination