What is finance management?
Every business concern must maintain an adequate amount of finance for their smooth running. Also maintain the business carefully to achieve its goals. But they can be achieved only with the help of effective management of finance.
Effective financial management is vital for business survival and growth. Fundamentals of Financial Management involve accurately defining company’s business objectives. Identifying and quantifying its resources. Devising a plan for utilizing finances and other resources to achieve its goals. Establishing procedures for collecting and analyzing data. Making financial decisions, tracking and analyzing divergence between budgeted and actual results to identify problems. It is essential to take appropriate actions. In other words, the main elements of strategic financial management include budgeting, risk management, review, and evaluation.
Undoubtedly, we are now living in a world where all the major economic functions- consumption, production, and investment – are highly globalized. It is thus essential for financial managers to fully understand important dimensions of international financial management. Managers of international firms have to understand the environment in which they function if they want to achieve their objective.
Like any finance function, international finance, the finance function of a multinational firm has two functions namely, treasury and control. The treasurer is responsible for financial planning analysis. Also, fund acquisition, investment financing, cash management, investment decision and risk management. On the other hand, controller deals with the functions related to external reporting, tax planning and management. Management information system, financial and management accounting, budget planning and control, and accounts receivables, etc.
Why does startups need financial management?
To be lucky is not enough in order to be successful in financial planning and avoid the risk. Forecasting also should take place here.
In a financial services context, the risk is defined as “the lack of predictability of outcomes” affecting the set of financial transactions and positions which form that sphere. Thus, risk includes the possibility of both pleasant surprises as well as adverse outcomes. Financial risk management, on the other hand, is the management of the resources and commitments of a firm. So as to maximize its value, taking into account the impact that unpredictable outcomes or events can have on firm performance.
Financial management may not be one of the most effective parts of starting up. It’s probably the most important. Because, unless you have a huge amount of money, without the proper tools to keep track of your finances, there’s no way your start up will succeed.
Really, successful entrepreneurs schedule periodic reviews of the basic financial statements. In order to identify opportunities to improve profitability. They calculate basic ratios and learn what they mean. In comparison to both the past performance and to the available industry averages. With the accounting software now available, these tasks are far easier to complete than ever before. The basic financial statements can be produced with a few clicks of the mouse. Learning what the numbers mean is not as complicated as most people think. Another key component of financial management is forecasting and budgeting. Essentially future planning for financial management. Many new entrepreneurs have trouble with these processes. Electing to simply up their previous performance by a standard percentage for each new year if they bother at all.
How to perform finance management for startups: key steps?
Start-up companies are newly founded companies or entrepreneurial ventures. They are in the phase of development and market research. The road to success as a start up company can be a rocky and ultimately insurmountable one for any number of reasons. But poor financial management is certainly a common cause of crisis among new businesses everywhere in the world.
Running type of the sphere requires making a lot of financial decisions. Here are some useful tips that can make the financial management for start ups easier:
- Have a clear plan. A plan will establish where you are and where you want to get to over the next few years. It should detail how you will finance your actions and its activities. What money you will need and where it will come from.
- Monitor your financial position. You should regularly monitor the progress of your business. If your expenses are higher than your profit, then your start up will sooner or later collapse. On a daily basis, you should know how much money you have in the bank. How many sales you’re making and your stock levels. You should also review your position against the targets set in your plan on a monthly basis.
Nowadays solid cash management plays a major role in the area of finance because proper cash management is not only essential for effective utilization of cash, but it also helps to meet the short-term liquidity position of the concern. Every “startuper” must have a solid business plan and a budget that supports those plans. A budget is a guideline that can be used as a powerful resource for your cash management.
- Ensure customers pay you on time. Businesses can run into major problems because of late customer payments. To reduce the risk of late or non-payment, you should make your credit terms and conditions obvious from the outset. You should also quickly issue invoices that are clear and accurate. Using a computerized credit management system will help you to keep track of customers’ accounts.
- Meet tax deadlines. Failing to meet deadlines for filing tax returns and payments can incur fines and interest. These are unnecessary costs that can be avoided with some forward-planning. Keeping accurate records saves your business time and money, and you can be confident that you’re only paying the tax you owe. Therefore, it’s important that you meet your obligations.
- Get the right funding: it is essential that you choose the right type of finance for your business. Each type of finance is designed to meet different needs. Smaller businesses usually rely more on overdrafts and personal funding, but this might not be the best kind of funding for your company.
About the Author: Carol James is a writer and senior editor at writing service, so you can order for EssayLab term paper or essay . She has MA degree in social sciences and writes articles, reviews on the different actual subjects. So, if you have any questions regarding the writing, feel free to ask her.