Below analysis shows how higher passing % in CPT then IPC and Finals is hurting careers of students.
Why is it harmful
- It is harmful for the weaker students as they easily pass CPT but slow down in further levels (IPC and finals) due to increased difficulty level. If level of CPT is improved, students not able to clear CPT exam can pursue other career options rather than investing 6 to 8 years in CA and then not able to find a decent job.
- It is harmful for the CA designation as increasing no. of students with multiple attempt result will bring down the quality and in turn bring down the placements (See this post on analysis of placements in past 5 years)
Note: All data is compiled from publicly available documents
- In CPT passing % rate is 30% whereas in Final it is 15% due to which many students who easily enter through CPT are unable to pass out as difficulty level in CPT is very low as compared to IPC and Final exams.
- Due to inverted passing % rate in various stages of CA (higher pass outs in CPT then Final), 22,000 students add to the stagnant student base every six months. See part (B) of the analysis
- In the pass 6 years after the start of CPT at least 65,000 students who passed in CPT are unable to pass out in time. See part (D) of the analysis
(A) Difficulty levels across the stages of CA
CPT IPC Final
The only point above pictures help in making is the difference in difficulty levels from CPT to IPC to Final
(B) Average passing % rate across the stages of CA
This 28% is on a base of more than 1.2 lakh students every six months .i.e. on an average 35,000 students enter CA course every six months
IPC – 20% (See this post on attempt wise pass % of previous years)
Final – 15% (See this post on attempt wise pass % of previous years)
This 15% is on a base of 30,000 students appearing in both group i.e. 5,000 students. Lets also add single group students to this no. ; on an average 15,000 students pass single groups in each attempt so half of such student should also be added to the both group no. i.e. total no. of students passing out of final exam is 5,000 + 8,000 = 13,000
From the above nos. we can easily understand that every six months 35,000 students are passing the CPT exam and only 13,000 students are passing the final exam. Difference of 22,000 students will keep on adding to the student base every six months.
(C) Growth in Student Registrations:
|Year – 2013||No. of Students|
- On an average 10,000 new students register per month
- Approx. 50% of the registered students are in CPT, 30% in IPC and 20% in Final
(D) No. of students stuck in CA after start of CPT
A bit of backward calculation tells us that more than 65,000* students who have entered through CPT are unable to pass out in time.
(*CPT started in 2006…. 22,000 students/six month for 6 years makes approx. 2,60,000 students…lets divide this by 4 to consider the growth in no. of students in past few attempts and also to be sure of the no. we are quoting here. It gives 65,000; real no. could be higher than 1,50,000)
Post your comments & suggestions to let us know if you think this is an area of concern
Great Post. Pictorial comparison in CPT, IPCC and Final is really good.
Thanks Satish, this just shows the real difference between CPT and Final exam
What u have said is absolutely correct. there is immediate need to take some action for that…
That’s the point, only thing is who will bell the cat
What is the point of this analysis.. In every course if students are not passing then it is there mistake.
I agree its there mistake, but shouldnt the level of CPT at par with the final exam so student doesnt waste his precious years trying to clear the IPC and Final exams.
Amazing analysis, increasing no. of students is really affecting the value of CA’s
Problem is not the increasing no. of students…. rather the quality of students.
IT IS THE MISTAKE OF THE STUDENTS THAT THEY TAKE IT VERY LIGHTLY AFTER PASSING CPT .THEY THINK THAT CPT WAS EASY SO IPC WOULD ALSO BE EASY.
Well it is not only the question of taking lightly but also of difficulty level. If CA level of CA will be hard then students passing CPT will automatically be able to take pressure in IPC and Final